I LOVE this!!!! For me, anything retro is just awesome and cool….Prawn cocktail… how retro can it get!! It reminds me of my childhood and going to restaurants and feeling super “posh” ordering prawn cocktail and watching it arrive in front of us in this super fancy glass….
So when this sprung to mind it was to make it for New Years Eve …. A quick and easy starter but so impressive… And when I saw the glimmer in my Jiya’s eyes… she’s 7… it took me back to when I first saw this in front of me.. “Wow” she sighed…. I think eating something in a glass when you’re all dressed up on the dining table really does the trick!
Now these pictures were not planned as you can see, and it was all very last minute… I shouldve “assembled” one during the day but that didn’t happen… sorry:(
Even that last sprig of chive was done in a hurry… shameful!!!! All that aside… this was a great great decision… The sauce of this famous starter is actually called Marie Rose, did you know!? Otherwise known as cocktail sauce, this classic British dish has been around for years… it uses simple, store cupboard ingredients… and really is a crown pleaser… so go on… you don’t need an occasion like New Years Eve to please your people… this is fun and doable any time of year!!!
- 30 large prawns, peeled, deveined and cooked
- 4 Little Gem lettuces, washed and trimmed
- 5 heaped tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 heaped tbsp ketchp
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- tiny splash Tabasco sauce
- squeeze lemon juice
- paprika, for dusting
- 4 tsp snipped chives
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 cucumber, diced small
- Once you’ve cooked your prawns set them aside to cool.
- Combine all the ingredients fro the cocktail sauce and refrigerate.
- Once the prawns have completely cooled, add a tablespoon of the cocktail sauce to the prawns and mix well. refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, first put some cucumber at the bottom of our serving glass. Add a few cubes of avocado.
- Top with 5 prawns.
- Top the prawns with a couple of teaspoons of the sauce.
- Finish with shredded gem lettuce
- Serve immediately!
Leave a Reply