Hola from Colorado!
I’m state side, visiting mommy… it’s really lovely here, so calm and peaceful… just nice to be in a place that’s quiet and still.. not much going on… Once in a while you find yourself really needing that silence and that space…
So my mom has this awesome spiralizer machine gadget which I am definitely stealing from her…and it turns humble courgette (or zuchinni) into beautiful strands of spaghetti… so awesome… I’ve known about this concept for quite a while now… so when she told me she had the gadget I grabbed the chance to make this dish…
So that’s the spaghetti done… Now you can have this raw, which I personally LOVE, but Mom wanted it slightly cooked… Now for the Kale pesto.. and KALE, what a treat for me! I’ve been hunting Kale down forever in Barcelona and it really is so hard to find. Finally we have one place, Flax & Kale, that stocks it but even there, they run out so quick!!
Fresh tomatoes give it a summery burst of flavour… you could top this with anything though…And yes, I know this is primarily a summer dish but hey… I really don’t care… courgettes are always in season in Spain and tomatoes too although not as sweet … so it’s all good…
- 1 medium courgette, ends trimmed
- 1 medium bunch kale, center ribs and stems removed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup walnuts,
- handful of pine nuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (or more) fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 small tomatoes, quarted
- Pine nuts to garnish
- Spiral the courgette with the spiralizer or use a mandoline or potato peeler to get thin ribbons, set aside.
- Blanch kale in a large pot of boiling salted water, about 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool; wring dry in a clean kitchen towel. Transfer to a food processor, or with a stick blender, add garlic, Parmesan, and walnuts and pinenuts, and blend, Add oil in a steady stream and process to a coarse purée. Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- You can dress the courgetti with the pesto at this point and serve it raw or, in a large pan, with a little olive oil, toss the pesto and courgetti together and heat through until the cougetti has slightly softened. Serve topped with tomatoes and pinenuts, ENJOY!!!