We ALL love a good, cheesy mac c cheese from time to time… it brings out the child in us.. it comforts us, it’s all the things we want in a pasta dish…
I’ve never been a fan of the crunch oven-baked top when it comes to mac n cheese… I love the creaminess and soft texture of the pasta… And my kids have followed suit … I’ve tried n tested the crunch top several times and they haven’t been winners… THIS one IS!
It really IS so easy and I love that we can make this in one big pot… A couple of pointers though… make sure you RESERVE the pasta liquid, that is, the cooking water from the pasta after it’s done, don’t drain it away! It adds creaminess to the sauce afterwards, as pasta tend to soak up loads of liquid, you always need that little more…
Also, please use freshly grated Parmesan cheese, not powdered ready made… it makes a world of difference to the flavour and texture of the sauce….
Creamy No-Bake Mac ‘n’ Cheese Recipe
- 350 grams dried pasta (your preferred shape)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- ¼ cup shallot, finely minced
- 1 cup gouda, shredded ( you could also use a nice sharp cheddar)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup milk
- 1/3 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions just until al dente. Drain well, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Heat olive oil in a large deep pot. Add the garlic and let infuse for a few minutes, then remove.Add shallot, allow to soften and become translucent.Add cheeses and stir briefly to combine. Mix in the milk, Greek yogurt, and butter and stir until the cheese is thoroughly melted and the mixture is creamy. If necessary add a small amount of the reserved pasta water to adjust the consistency.
- Add the pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- You might need more parmesan at this point, according to taste.
Just like a warm, flavourful soup, this too is a hug-in-a-bowl.. to get you through a long week… Everyone’s happy!
Leave a Reply