As you know, I’m partial to a bit of spice in things.. even desserts… not that cardamom is a super spice.. it’s the “sweet” spice.. the one that can really go in loads of stuff…. and goes really well with chocolate…
These little babies… they’re not overly sweet… they’re pretty light… perfect for tea time… for picnicing… I’m really into picnic food right now, since the weather’s changed… so small, portable food is cool..
As you can see I haven’t dressed it up with anything… meaning, no trims no extras… however you CAN add some silky chocolate ganache… or some whipped cream… or some berries… a lot can go with this simple yet little spiced cake… but I didn’t need anything with it.. just a light dusting of cocoa… simple..
I think these would be really nice after a light lunch… or with a cup of tea… and I promise you, that hint of cardamom really marries well with the chocolate… very “chai”…! Need I say more..?
- 11 ounces dark chocolate
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter
- 6 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tabelespoons ground cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 170 C. Line cupcake moulds and butter generously.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in ta bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Stir until completely smooth and melted. Set aside.
- Combine the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of a mixer, and beat on high until very pale and fluffy — about five minutes.
- Mix the vanilla, salt, and 1½ tsp ground cardamom into the melted chocolate, then fold the chocolate into the egg yolks.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites on high until they hold stiff peaks. Fold carefully into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into the cupcake moulds and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Serve warm, topped with a dusting of cocoa powder.
Leave a Reply