Homemade Maple Granola Bars
- 1/4 cup maple syrup… use honey or agave if you wish
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup roasted unsalted almonds, loosely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (gluten free for GF eaters)
- less than 1/4 cup flax seeds
- optional additions: chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, banana chips, vanilla, etc.
- Toast your oats in a 200 degree oven for 10/15-ish minutes or until slightly golden brown. You could leave them raw but the toasted flavour makes a difference in my opinion.
- Place oats, almonds and dates in a bowl – set aside.
- Warm honey and peanut butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir and pour over oat mixture and then mix, breaking up the dates to disperse throughout.
- Once thoroughly mixed, transfer to a square or rectangluar or other small pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment paper so they lift out easily.
- Press down until uniformly flattened. Cover with parchment or plastic wrap, and let set in fridge or freezer for 30 minutes to harden.
- Remove bars from pan and chop into 12 bars. Store in an airtight container for up to a few days.
They will break a little when you cut them, but don’t worry, just pop them back into the fridge or freezer… they’ll last longer there too AND they’ll be nice and cool when you bite into them at first!
Wrap them up in parchment or foil, perfect for your mid morning snack!
Leave a Reply