- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds ( methi seeds)
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 can tinned chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon homemade curry powder
- 800g peeled prawns
- 2 handfuls fresh, finely chopped coriander
- the juice of 1 lemon
Heat a heavy bottomed pot/pan or wok over a medium flame. Add a couple of tablespoons sunflower oil. Add the cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. Wait until they start to sizzle and turn slightly golden. Add the curry leaves. Add the chopped onions, you can add a pinch of salt now so that the onions start to sweat. We need to get the onions to brown nicely so this will take around 10 minutes or so. Next add the ginger garlic paste, cook for a minute or so and then incorporate the tomatoes. Add the spices, stir well and allow the tomatoes and spices to cook for a further 5 minutes, until the oil comes to the surface. Keep the flame on medium for this. Once the tomatoes are cooked well, turn up the heat slightly and add the prawns, a pinch of salt, the fresh coriander. Allow the prawns to cook, turn down the flame, cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Finish with a teaspoon of garam masala and lemon juice.
Serve with hot chapattis, chilas or basmati rice.
Leave a Reply