- 2 regular sized aubergines / 2 handful small baby asian aubergines
- 2 tbsp white miso
- 2 tbsp mirin
- ½ tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tbsp maple syrup or agave
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- toasted sesame oil, for brushing
- black and toasted sesame seeds for topping
- finely sliced spring onions for topping
- Cut your aubergines into half, lengthwise. Sprinkle cut surfaces of the aubergines with salt and set aside for 20-30 mins for the salt to draw out any bitterness. Rinse the salt off and pat the vegetables dry with a paper towel.
- Heat up the oven with the grill option and line a large baking tray with a piece of baking paper.
- Whisk miso, mirin, rice vinegar and maple syrup/agave, in a small pot over medium heat until miso has dissolved. Take off the heat and mix in sesame oil.
- Brush cut surfaces of the aubergine wedges with a bit of sunflower oil and place them, skin down, on a paper-lined baking tray. on the middle level in the oven so that the aubergine cooks on the inside as well as on the outside. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Take the tray out of the oven and brush the aubergine with miso glaze. Return the tray under the grill for a few minutes until the glaze caramelises nicely. Watch them so that they don’t burn.
- To serve, sprinkle some finely sliced spring onions and a mix of black and toasted sesame seeds.
Leave a Reply