Because we’re on holiday … I mean, the kids are on holiday… which means we are supposed to be on holiday with them…there are plans being made constantly…everyone feels the need to “do something”… which I totally get… at least for the first week of the holidays… then after that you just really need to STOP!!
There¡s usually some sort of picnic or beach or poolside plan…. it’s so great to be outside…! And I find that you need to rustle up quick bites that you know will go down well with the little ones, AND big ones alike!… These puff pastry “pizzas” are great because they take hardly any time to assemble… and they are lighter than pizzas… the puff pastry really gives this a crumbly and light turn…
Of course, like any pizza, you can do whatever you please in terms of toppings, let your creative juices run wild and free… or not;) Stick to the basics… Whatever you need to do to get everyone out the door faster!
- 1 whole Sheet Frozen Puffed Pastry
- Olive Oil For Brushing
- 1/2 cup Fresh Mozzarella, Grated
- 1/2 a red bell peper, sliced roughly
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 8 whole vine Tomatoes, Halved
- 1/4 cup Goat Cheese (chevre), Comte or whatever cheese you have around
- 12 whole baby spinach Leaves (chiffonade)
- Remove the puff pastry from the fridge. open the sheet, then slice it in half down the middle. Place both halves on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a baking mat. Prick all over with a fork.
- Preheat oven to200 degrees, then start on the pizza toppings.
- To build the pizzas: Brush a thin layer of olive oil in the center part of each half of puffed pastry.
- On each half, sprinkle on half the cheese so that it covers all but a 1/2 inch border all around the pastry.
- On one half, sprinkle on the roughly sliced red pepper and garlic. On the other half, sprinkle on the halved tomatoes and garlic. Press both peppers and tomatoes lightly into the cheese. Season now with salt, pepper and some dry oregano. You can now add the Comete or whatever cheese you like on top…
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the goat cheese crumbles on both halves (if using).
- Sprinkle on spinach, slice into pieces, and serve!
Cheers to long summer picnic days!