So I’ve been feeling like the routine as it supposed to be, post Christmas and holiday madness, hasn’t actually started yet? We’ve been having too much fun, eating out ALL the time, due to guests and family etc… and travelling in between… no, I am not complaining, how dare I? For we are so blessed for this life we have been given…
However, I DO feel like I need to stop, take a minute and breathe and just reset… You know the feeling? I’m NOT detoxing, that’s not what I do, only because I’m weak and I NEED a brownie now and then… so no detox… just RESET…
I like this kind of salad, and I’ve put together quite a few of them here on the blog… this one is a combination of those, with that added Thai-ish flavour… I need the spice, the kick, the crunch and the sweetness … it just makes it much more satisfying…
So what is in it… there’s loads of crunchy stuff: carrots and zucchini which I have spiralized but you don’t need to do that you can chop them into matchsticks, slice them with a mandoline or shred them… anything goes… there’s red cabbage.. kale which has been blanched for a few seconds and drained… fennel which has been thinly sliced, and chicken… I made another glow SOUP bowl, recipe coming soon… so I used the chicken from that to incorporate into this salad… See, it’s all about time saving, so I got 2 meals out of this pretty fast!
The sauce is my take on the pad thai… there’s a dollop of peanut butter, whizzed up with Tamari, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, a dash of fish sauce and sambal oelek, which is an asian spicy sauce…topped up with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil… it’s magic!
This is filling and yummy and really good for you .. it balances everything out and because it has that added crunch, it doesn’t leave you needed something more, you know what I mean?
It really does make you glow inside and out… I topped it off with some wasabi sesame seeds and nigella seeds, but use regular esame seeds if you don’t have these around!
It’s crunch time!!
- 1 medium zucchini, spiralized, thinly sliced or grated
- 1 medium carrot,spiralized, thinly sliced or grated
- half a fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- half a red cabbage, thinly sliced,
- 3-4 kale stalks, leaves blanched for a few seconds, removed and drained
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked (poached in water with ginger, garlic and turneric for 20 minutes, removed and shredded)
- For the Pad Thai-ish dressing:
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons Tamari
- 1 tablespoon Ketchap Manis (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Sambal Oelek (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger and garlic combined
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- a dash of fish sauce
- sesame seeds and nigella seeds to finish
- fresh coriander for serving
- Combine all ingredients for the salad in a bowl or divide between 3 bowls.
- Whizz together all the ingredients for the dressing.
- Season with sea salt and cracked black pepper accordingly.
- You can dress the salad a couple of hours before serving, to allow all the flavours to “marry” and for the zucchini and carrots to soften.
- For a veg option, leave out the chicken, and replace with tofu!
Leave a Reply