Yes, it’s Valentine’s week!! And yes, I have a tiny, little, minute speck of a romantic in me… it’s REALLY small 😉 It isn’t JUST about the romance… it’s also about love of ALL kinds… When I was young, I remember my mum used to gift me a heart shaped chocolate and a card… it was the sweetest thing and I do the same with my girls because of that!
A bit of nostalgia here… This is what this day ACTUALLY brings to me… sweet memories… and visions of Hallmark cards being bought and sent… (those were the days)… and those adorable “love is” comics…
It’s also about sweet treats like these beautifully rich, decadent red velvet brownies…
Valentines Day treat: Red Velvet and Cheesecake swirl Brownies…
- Red Velvet Brownie Layer:
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Cream Cheese Layer:
- 1 cup cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Line an 8 by 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, and set aside.
- For the brownie layer: In a saucepan on medium heat melt the butter. Remove the butter to a large bowl and add the sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar, in that order, mixing between additions. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and stir it into the cocoa mix. Fold in the flour until lightly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, saving 1/4 cup of the batter for the top.
- Cream cheese layer: Blend together the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Gently spread the cream cheese layer on top of the brownie batter in the pan. Dollop the remaining brownie batter over the cream cheese layer. Using a skewer or the tip of a knife, drag the tip through the cream cheese mixture to create a swirl pattern. Bake the brownies for 30 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely before cutting.
You should really keep these hidden away for someone special… coz they will FLY!!!!!
Make this for someone you love….
And then send them away.. with love… 🙂