This Jamie Oliver guy… he’s always got the knack of having the right recipe for the right day and the simplest ingredients which is what you need just at THAT time! How does he do that?? Yes, you all know I’m the hugest (?) fan!!!
I was watching an episode of his 15 minute Meals… and he was doing this super simple pasta recipe with sausages… the sauce is dead easy… and the sausages well, you just need to slam them onto the grill or barbeque… and they’re so quick to do…
But then I decided to slightly fiddle with his work of art…and make this dish totally vegetarian… And for me, tofu is something pretty versatile… I know, it’s not the most TASTY thing on earth, but you can play around with it and create flavours with it…marinating it in different sauces and herbs and aromatics… which is what I did here…
Roasted red pepper and Balsamic Fusilli with sweet,Blackened Tofu…
- olive oil
- 1 large red onion
- 4 roasted red peppers, from a bottle
- 4 sprigs roasemary
- 4 cloves garlic
- 300 grams fusilli pasta
- 3 tablespoons thick balsamic vinegar, plus a bit more to serve
- 400 grams passata
- for the tofu:
- 250 grams firm tofu cut into large chunks
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoons thick balsamic
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 1 sprig rosemary chopped finely
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your pasta according to package instructions, drain, reserving a cup of the cooking water.
- Marinate the tofu in all the marinade ingredients,and set aside.
- Put the red onion, peppers, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper and blend until smooth.
- Add to a large pan with olive oil and stir frequently.
- Once the aromas have been released and the oil has slightly separated add the passata and the balsamic vinegar.
- Heat another smaller pan, add a teaspoon of olive oil and add the tofu. Seer well on all sides until nicely caramelized and slightly blackened and sweet. Remove and set aside.
- Add the pasta to the passata sauce along with a cup of the cooking liquid and stir in.
- Season to taste, Add the tofu and drizzle with a little more balsamic .
Ok, so it took a little longer than 15 minutes.. that could be due to anything… I think it was a little hot in the kitchen and I was moving a tiny bit slowly… 🙂
This dish can really go a long way…Spice it up with a little chilli… or not… and of course, try the original version with sausage…!
Thanks again Jamie!