So good morning!! And may I bring to your attention .. that Christmas is a MONTH away!!!!! Yes, it IS!! Okay okay, let’s calm down now… we can do this…
Now I know it’s usually pretty traditional.. we generally prefer to stick to the same menu every year.. because it works… SO why stress about trying new things right?
I think changing things up and experiment always gives everything a fresh perspective and will always bring you great results!! So I think having a bit of fun and coming up with some tiny tweeks… it’s always exciting at the table, for everyone!
So I have this really cool, crowd pleasing centrepiece for your table… it’s just simple shop-bought puff pastry.. yes I know, I have graduated from pastry school and I really should be making my own pastry.. but i also have a life and I DO have a job and I have children and run a home… so it’s really OKAY!!!
So here are the step-by-step pics to this gorgeously buttery, garlicky pastry!
You then have to turn the plain sheet onto the one you’ve just topped… and press it down as firmly as you can… some of the filling might come out of the sides but you can just wipe that away, no worries!
It’s that easy! And it does take a little time, but imagine, you don’t have to make the pastry yourself, the garlic butter takes 2 minutes to put together and in 20 minutes you have something so pretty for everyone to marvel at… I think it’s a great alternative to garlic bread, with ALL the flavour and even more buttery-ness!
- 2 sheets all-butter (if possible) puff pastry
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon maldon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- zest of half a lemon
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water
- First combine all the ingredients for the filling: the butter, salt, garlic, herbs, pepper, cheese and lemon zest. mix well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200degrees C. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set another piece out on the counter.
- Lay both sheets of puff pastry on the additional parchment. Roll them slightly to remove the seams and thin them out. Then brush the garlic butter all over the entire surface of one puff pastry square. Cover the puff pastry sheet with the second puff pastry square and line up the corners. Roll over it lightly just to make sure it’s stuck.
- Using a sharp knife , cut through both sheets dividing the square into 4 equal sections, leaving a 1 1/2 – 2 inch area in the very middle that is uncut. (This will hold the spiral together together.) Now cut each quarter section into strips, again leaving the untouched section in the middle. Trim the corners off the square to round it out. Carefully move the pastry to the prepared baking sheet.
- Gently pick up one strip and twist it into a rope. Be careful not to pull too hard, or it will break off. Repeat, twisting each section in the same direction all the way around the circle. Then gently pull each rope to lengthen them. Beat the egg and water together to create “egg wash” then brush it over the top. Bake for 20+ minutes, until puffy and golden-brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Leave a Reply