This is a really quick and easy thing to do on the weekend.. I rustled these up on Saturday morning, between tennis and dance class, back n forth… as our usual Saturday mornings go… knowing all too well that I’d have a pack of hungry little angels over for lunch, rubbing their tummies and looking at me with big sparkly eyes!!
What I love about those moments is when they walk in the door, taking a deep breath and saying “mmmmm, what’s cooking mama, I’m starrrrving!!!”
All you need, and again, as I constantly tell you, these are all flexible.. even the mince itself… I used chicken thighs but you could use lamb, pork… whatever you have at home… onions and garlic are pretty key here. but you could omit the peppers and sub with green peas, carrots.. whateevr you have lying around at home… it’s okay to change it up!!
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- large piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced ( optional)
- 1/2 red and yellow bell pepper chopped
- 500g minced chicken, turkey or pork ( I used chicken thighs)
- 85g light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fKorean BBQ sauce or Hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- To serve
- mix of iceberg lettuce, Little Gem or cos leaves
- large handful coriander leaves, very roughly chopped
- Radishes, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Fry the onion,ginger, garlic and chillies for 1 min. Add the mince, then cook on a high heat until golden brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go.Add the bell peppers. Sprinkle over the brown sugar, sauces and honey, then cook everything down until sticky and brown.
- Tip the mince into a serving bowl, then serve with a bowl of lettuce leaves for wrapping the mince in; the coriander and chopped radish.
- You can also serve the mince with fluffy white rice!